The definiteness purpose with a burning desire is the first starting point to riches or success. It begins with a state of mind. The definiteness purpose is Napoleon Hill’s first principle of success. He believed success comes to those who become success conscious. Keep an open mind for possibilities.
Inspiration for Success by Napoleon Hill
If you think you are beaten, you are,
If you like to win, but you think you can’t,
It is almost certain you won’t.
If you think you’ll lose, you’re lost.
For out of the world we find,
Success begins with a fellow’s will —
It’s all in the state of mind.
If you think you are outclassed, you are.
You’ve got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.
Life’s battles don’t always go
To the stronger or faster man
But soon or late the man who wins
Is the man who thinks he can.
The mind is a powerful and amazing tool for success or for failure. The wonderful thing about it is that you do have a choice. Even though it may appear as not a choice at first. People may say that I do not choose to be born with a disability such as no legs or no arms. That is maybe true that they are born with a disability. If you believe in reincarnation and even before they are born, they may choose to be born a certain way and to a certain family. However, I am digressing.
The important key to remember is what is your state of mind in the face of obstacles. Do you give up or do you pick yourself up and move forward? How big is your desire? Do you want it so much that no matter what it takes you will find a way? Failure is not an option and there is no such thing as impossible. That is the desire you will want to have.
Do you ever have a certain desire so much that you can visualize it, taste it, or even feel it? It did happen to me throughout my life. I saw those desires came to pass many times. It could be something small, something huge, something negative, or something positive. The universe does not know the difference. Those quantities or qualities are subjective.
Wish Vs Desire
What is wish vs desire? According to Napoleon Hill, a wish, hope, or dream is not enough that maybe or someday that we will have what we want. We want a desire with a state of mind to become an obsession, then planning definite ways to acquire that desire and backing those plans with purpose and persistence that does not recognize failure.
We must become success conscious until the desire drives us to create definite plans for acquiring it. The burning desire becomes an obsession and to be determined to have it that we would convince ourselves we will have it. We believe it so much that we can see ourselves in possession of it.
One of Napoleon Hill’s examples was Edwin C. Barnes’ burning desire to become Thomas A. Edison’s business partner. In the beginning, Barnes showed up at Edison’s office in rags but his mind was of a king. A few years later and through his willpower, effort, and energy into his goal and desire, Barnes’ definiteness purpose became reality. Barnes became Edison’s partner.
Henry Ford was another example. He was poor and uneducated but he dreamed of a horseless carriage. He pursued his dream with the tools he possessed. He did not wait for the opportunity to favor him. He put wheels into operation and was not afraid to back his dreams.
As Hill stated in “Think and Grow Rich“, “If the thing you wish to do is right, and you believe in it, go ahead and do it! Put your dream across, and never mind what they say if you meet with temporary defeat, for they, perhaps do not know what EVERY FAILURE BRINGS WITH IT THE SEED OF AN EQUIVALENT SUCCESS.”
Method to Success
The desire for riches with financial gain can be breaking up into six practical steps from the book Think and Grow Rich. If your desire is money, you want to be specific about the amount. I want a lot of money is too general.
- Be definite of the amount of money. It is a psychological reason for definiteness.
- Determine exactly what you intend to give in return for the money you desire.
- Establish a definite date when you intend to possess the money you desire.
- Create a definite plan for carrying out your desire, and begin at once, whether you are ready or not, to put this plan into action.
- Write out a clear, concise statement of the amount of money you intend to acquire, name the time limit for its acquisition, state what you intend to give in return for the money, and describe clearly the plan through which you intend to accumulate it.
- Read your written statement aloud, twice daily, once just before retiring at night, and once after arising in the morning. As you read-see and feel and believe yourself already in possession of the money.
Follow these steps with an open mind and imagination to enable you to see and convince yourself that you will acquire the money when you allow the burning desire to become an obsession. There are three qualities you want to possess to be successful:
- Definiteness of purpose
- Knowledge of what you want
- A burning desire to possess it
Here are the summary points stated by Think and Grow Rich Action Guide:
- All things begin with a thought whether it is negative or positive.
- Riches begin with a state of mind and a definite purpose.
- Learning how to control your thoughts is even more valuable than the money it will bring you.
- Destructive thoughts will translate into reality just as surely as positive thoughts. It is important to choose your thoughts carefully.
As I grow older and experience life, reading these words above resonates with me in many ways. Once again, the mind is a powerful tool. Everything is created with just a thought and then expanded from there. It is up to you and me to expand the thought from inspiration into a plan and then into action. Listen to your inner self and be the best you that you can be to bring good to the world.
I love to hear your desire. What is it that you want and do you have a burning desire to achieve it? Please leave me your thoughts below.